Friday, May 16, 2008

Chicken feet

If you cut it off, the chicken will die...


“If you cut it off, the chicken will die.” I’m sure you’re wondering which part of the chicken I’m talking about. Last week, I was having lunch with my class children and we were having chicken stew that day. I was famished after working half the day; it seems that my appetite remains at the time when I’m 9 months pregnant with Miracle. So, I piled up my bowl with rice, potato, carrots and the most important ingredient in the stew -chicken!! However, since the meaty drumsticks, breasts and wings were given to the children, we teachers had a sumptuous choice of chicken feet, neck…umm and others? Anyway, I returned to the table with a mountain of food enough to beat the salad goers at Pizza Hut’s salad bars. As I was enjoying the food, one child accused me of killing chickens. My curiosity perked, I proceeded to interrogate that child. ”Why did you say that?”


You know what the kid told me? She said “After you cut off the chicken feet, then you throw away the chicken so the chicken die loh.” It took a while for her statement to sink in but in the end I realized that she thought I slaughtered one particular chicken to get my lunch -2 chicken feet to go with my rice. Before I retaliated with a “what about you?” question, another kid proceeded to explain the reason of the death of the chicken “Yaloh, if you cut the feet, the chicken cannot walk, then he will die.” I didn’t know whether to laugh or bang my head on the table.


As adults, I’m sure we think a child’s view is so narrow. They can’t see the big picture. They are too focused etc. Maybe some of u non-children lovers might even think children are dumb. Well, come to think of it, how many of us are like that. When God didn’t give us that guy or girl of our dreams, we think God is dooming us to a life time of singleness. When we don’t see that committed Christian we need in our ministry, we think God has forgotten us. Sometimes, I hear something that came out wrong from my hubby’s mouth and I forget the millions of wonderful things he has done for me. What I do to him then; is of course, another story.

No comments: