Friday, June 27, 2008

Superbikes and romance. I’m sure you’d agree that the 2 goes very well together. Well, listen to my story and then see if you’ll still think so.

As u guys know, Leon’s superbike is with Mike for safekeeping. It’s really a blessing for Mike since he can travel to work and BCM faster now. It’s a blessing for me too as I had an entire year’s worth of physics lesson sitting upon that bike. The moment Mike revved up the bike, I could feel the power in its engine but I thought it’ll be like riding on Mike’s own bike, just a little faster and a lot more romantic.

So there I was, excitement welling up in me, waiting for the moment we hit the highway. However, Mike accelerated on the main road just outside our house. I was impressed at how fast the pick up was. I felt even better, anticipating the fun we’ll have during our short ride; or so I thought. When he went over a bump, I almost flew off the bike as I was still getting used to leaning down on that huge bike. From that moment onwards, my hands gripped Mike as tightly as those riders on a roller coaster. I didn’t even dare to let go to sweep away some hair that blew across my face, which was so uncomfortable as I can hardly see the road.

Although the main reason I can’t see the road was the immense size of the guy sitting in front of me, another reason would be the wind and force on my helmet. At our fastest speed, which I would not reveal for fear of causing my mother to have a heart attack, the force on my helmet was enormous! Just like the G-forces mentioned on TV. I began to have an inkling of what it’ll feel like to sit on a fighter plane with lots of G-forces acting on you. I didn’t even dare to move my body in case I upset the momentum of the bike and send both of us flying in the air for which I’m sure we’ll meet with certain death.

As a matter of fact, I was not so much afraid of the speed than the stops. I knew that while we were moving, unless of course some dumbo swerves his car into our lane suddenly, the law of physics says that we will keep moving. During the stops, all I had to hold on to was my husband and it is quite terrifying when he stops coz I feel the inertia. It’s like I’m gonna fly out of the bike with my hands and feet flailing in the air. I’ll probably look like Bobo the clown when I do that. My palms will probably be red and swollen too.

The inflated size of my palms not due to the crash but because I really had to support my weight on my hands as I leaned forward on the bike. Usually on a “normal” bike, I could put out my hands (like Titanic) and still maintain my balance. However, on the superbike my ‘mass’; to put it like the physics people say, is shifted to the front. It’s like doing a hundred times of push ups. Not that I’ve ever done that many but you get the idea.

In the end, I rediscovered the malay saying, “Indah khabar dari rupa”. Television has always hyped up superbikes and romance. I realized there isn’t much romance when all I can do is hang on for dear life, hear nothing but the wind in my face and a have a sore butt and palms after our outing. However in terms of excitement and thrill, nothing will ever beat riding on the superbike!

Honey, when are you taking me for our next ride?

9 comments:

~doNNa^~ said...

all my bulu roma stood up lah...

Leon Lim said...

wei! thats my bike....sob sob! WEi apa ini speeding on my bike. Hey its only for you to sit ok. No one else ok? He cannot fetch anyone else!!!!!!!!!! Grrrr sob sob I miss my bike

Mike Leo said...

Hey, Leon

You're gonna get a new bike there in Singapore, rite?

If that's so, your Cagiva will then have an adik. Then, I can ride to Singapore and change the new Yamaha bike you have. Then, you can ride on your Cagiva again lor....

Edr3nK0h said...

Haha... Ps Mike... that's so "thoughtful" of you.. not to forget on the "brillient-ness" u have.. :D

I'm sure Leon would be grateful if this could happen... blessing ma.... rite??

mitmit said...

Ok ler Leon... I promise i won't let you know if Mike ever brings me on ur bike again. hehe!!

mitmit said...

Donna, bulu roma stood up coz so romantic ah.. Wahahaha!!

~doNNa^~ said...

Haha... Romantic... Romantic... Not because of that lah. It's because the way you described it. Let's see if I still know how to be romantic and I can still stand it or not. Haha..

EdRyAnNe's sToRy said...

motor..
yaiks i takut naik motor..
since 5 years old..like wanna fall off..=.="

mitmit said...

Riding bike will at least help you save time and petrol.

You can go around the traffic jam area like going thru a maze. No need to stuck in a jam mah.

You can also save $$ on the petrol, enjoy the breeze of natural water from sky when it rains and taste all the dusts at the road when you go 140km/j

Cool, huh?